Your privacy rights

In principle you are entitled to inspect your own personal data. Does your data appear to be incorrect, incomplete or irrelevant? Then you can make a request to have your data changed, supplemented or destroyed. The Public Prosecution Service can refuse a request, for example to protect the rights and freedoms of other people or if it harms the investigation and prosecution of criminal offenses.

Who can submit a request for access, change or deletion of personal data?

A request to view, change or delete personal data can be submitted by:

  • Yourself
  • Your legal representative if you are younger than 16 years old
  • Your receiver, if you have been placed under guardianship
  • In criminal cases your attorney can submit a request on your behalf.

How can you use your rights?

You can submit a request to inspect, change or delete your personal data by sending a written request to the relevant public prosecutor. Contact details.

State in your request at least:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Which data you want to view and / or which data you want to see changed or destroyed.

The Public Prosecution Service  must be able to establish your identity before your request can be met. Therefore attach a copy of your valid proof of identity with your application.

Within what period will you receive a response?

You will receive an answer to your question within 4-6 weeks.

In some cases, the Public Prosecution Service may extend this period.

What can you do if you do not agree with the processing of your personal data?

If you do not agree with the way in which the Public Prosecution Service handles your personal data or processes your request or objection, you can submit a complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Authority.


The European Union is still working hard to further clarify the new privacy legislation. Nationally, the interpretation of the new privacy legislation is also in full swing.